how a session works
From our first contact through to you sitting back with a cup of tea (or a big glass of wine) looking at the photos of your family on your walls, I’ll be here to help. Here’s a little look at what we’ll get up to:
Step 1 – get in touch
You’ve decided you want some photos of you and your family. Ones that reflect your personalities and tell the story of where you are in your lives?
Get in touch with some details and I’ll give you a call to chat about what you’re looking for. You can choose which package you’d like to go for and we can choose the best day for our session.
Step 2 – the pre-shoot chat
The all important pre-shoot chat happens about a week before our shoot. We chat about everything you need to know to allay any pre-session nerves – including:
- my essential 5 step shoot prep guide, tailored specifically to pregnancy, newborn or family sessions, making sure you go in feeling much more confident
- my advice on posing/not posing, helping you to feel comfortable just being yourselves in front of the camera
- the golden rule for prepping kids for a shoot so they get the most fun out of it (and we get the best photos of them!)
- suggestions on the best clothes to wear – not all clothing is equal in front of the camera, so I’ll be sharing tips with you to avoid the pitfalls and make sure you love your pictures.
Step 3 – the shoot
The Shoot – Super simple – we hang out for an hour or so at your home and/or a nearby park. We have some fun, drink some tea and along the way I take the photos.
I bring my background in documentaries coupled with a touch of the pragmatist’s approach – if there’s some great light coming through that window in the living room, I’ll be getting you over there and making the most of it, no question.
- Pregnancy sessions – there’s no two ways about it, it’s an incredible time in your life. I keep these sessions super relaxed, you don’t need to travel anywhere, you can sit or lie down any time(!), we will have chatted in depth about the kind of shoot we will do in advance. There is nothing like this time just before everything changes – looking back on these images with fresh eyes you will see just how amazing you look.
- Newborn sessions – if you’ve already done a pregnancy shoot with me, you’ll know to expect a pretty calm and relaxed session – there is no rush. I make sure we keep things simple – no posing your baby or doing anything unusual, I simply shoot you being with them, capturing those little interactions between you, how they look in your arms, how indignant they look when they cry!
- With toddlers & older kids, whether they’re quiet and cautious or brave and loud, the beauty of a documentary, day-in-the-life style of photography is I shoot them just as they are. It’s fun to get outside if the weather’s good – whatever works – you know what your kids love doing best.
Before you know it, our time is up and I head off to process your images…
Step 4 – your images
I will edit and post-process your images within 7-10 days of our shoot, creating:
- a slideshow of your images which tells the story of our time together
- your curated online gallery with the images of your family
Remember that vision you had at the beginning? The photobook full of photos of your family, or those framed prints on your wall? We are going to do that. I’ll guide you through the quick and easy process – these images aren’t going to languish up there in the cloud forever more, I promise!
You choose which images you’d like to use for the products included in your package and you can decide now if you’d like to add any additional prints, framed prints or photobooks.
Step 5 – sit back & relax
Home Delivery! All prints, frames and photobooks will arrive at your home within 3-4 weeks of ordering, so you can sit back and enjoy them!
A LOVELY EXPERIENCE
We had such a lovely experience and came away with photos that are now proudly framed for all our friends to see! -TORY